Sunday, August 12, 2012

Installed the Electric Fence

Take that raccoons! ZAP! I have installed an electric fence specifically designed to keep raccoons out of my chicken and duck area. With all the other normal precautions (sturdy coops, covered and locked runs) we will hopefully never have another incident involving raccoons again.

In other news, Princess is settling in very well and is pals with Roger and Hattie. They swim together in the pool all day, monopolize the best straw pile to sleep on and make ugly faces together at Little and Pearl (this is the usual way of things with Roger and Hattie).  Aaron says that Princess's name is really Princess Maisey.  He insists on calling her Maisey!

As an aside, I really need to paint the shed!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hopefully all the measures you have taken to protect your fowl family will keep them safe. They are very lucky to have you!

Terry said...

I'll be very interested to hear if this fence is effective against raccoons. Will it work on foxes, too? My hens are fine because of good dog Lily, but I know several people who have had losses lately and need to find a solution.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Terry, the highest electric wire is about 18" off the ground. I think it probably would work on foxes. I got it here:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/

They have other sorts of fencing, too, including a VersaNet which has closer spacing and should keep out most small to medium sized predators.