Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Vegetarianism

I've been a happy vegetarian for 17 + years and a near vegan (I eat the eggs of my own, spoiled and happy chickens) for about a year.  I am a vegetarian for many reasons, not the least of which is I see personality and individuality in each of the animals I interact with and killing and eating them goes against my nature and against the oath that I took when I became a veterinarian.  Much as people don't want to know it, a chicken truly has a personality, as does a cow and pig and the family dog.  I won't eat the family dog and I won't eat any of the others, as well.  I'd like to share a great book and my Goodreads review of it:

Ninety-five: Meeting America's Farmed Animals in Stories and PhotographsNinety-five: Meeting America's Farmed Animals in Stories and Photographs by No Voice Unheard

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Although somewhat melodramatic in places, this is a beautifully photographed book that talks about the personality and individuality of the featured animals. I found it to be consistent with what I know about the traditionally farmed animals that I keep as pets as well as those I interacted with when I was in veterinary school. It raises significant moral questions about the fate of animals kept in factory farms. Do Americans really know what they are eating and how much suffering goes into producing cheap meat, eggs and milk? If you don't know, you should make an active effort to find out. Willful ignorance and continued participation in a corrupt and unethical system makes you just as guilty as those who raise these animals in deplorable conditions just to provide you with a cheap chicken dinner.

I'm also currently reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, which is a logical, calm and open look at animal production.  It's a great read so far.  Ok, back off my soapbox and back to thinking about happier things!

No comments: