Saturday, April 11, 2009

Nicer Chick Photos and Questions on their Parentage

There is some question about whether these guys are actually what they were sold to me as. I don't much care either way, as long as they all end up laying breeds and not meat breeds. Anyway, the Tractor Supply guy said that the yellow chicks were New Hampshire Reds. I don't think they are, because I don't think New Hampshire Reds are yellow as chicks! I may have lucked out (I'm hoping) and have Buff Orpingtons, which was what I wanted in the first place. I ordered Buffs from a chicken breeder, but she didn't get them incubated and it was going to be another 6 weeks, so just got chicks at TSC and canceled my order with the breeder. Anyway, I have five yellow chicks of uncertain parentage:

And then I have three of these little guys with dark red and darker wings:
And two of these little softer looking red chicks with lighter wings:
I've posted a question on my Backyard Chicken Forum with the hopes that someone has some insight. I don't really care what they are as long as they're not all roosters, but it would be nice to know, and I'm hoping that I lucked out and some are Orpingtons. To tell the truth, the TSC folks were nice, but didn't seem to know diddly-squat about chickens!

No comments: