Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bachelor Pad for Ducks

My drakes from Little's hatch last year were being terrible and fighting each other for the attentions of the females.  I came to the conclusion that the only way to stop this was to separate them.  I tried to give some of the boys away, but alas, no one wants drakes.  So now, the boys are separated from the girls (with the exception of Roger, who could never be separated from Hattie without a terrible commotion). I built the boys a bachelor pad to stop their endless fighting. And it's working GREAT! I separated Nathan, Mark, Charlie and Edward into this new run and cut another hole in the side of the duck house. The inside of the duck house now has a removable wall to separate it into two parts. I also installed drains into their pools and attached them to hoses which end in the ditch behind the duck house. All is well in duck world! Hooray!  Below are Roger, Hattie, Little and Pearl with their new pool setup.  PS:  Note to self, even though ducklings are bewitchingly cute, NO MORE!  I found Hattie's kids a great home, but the responsibility of finding an excellent home for duckies is just too much!  So many people don't take good care of them and they end up fox food.

Ducks in Duck Pond

1 comment:

Niesz Vintage Home said...

So cute! And a perfect solution.
I guess "boys will be boys" applies to all species. LOL

Kimberly